Saturday, January 9, 2010

Nails

Fingernails are just another type of skin, but not all nails are created equal. The nails protect the nerve-rich fingertips and tips of the toes from injury. Nails are a substructure of the outer layer of the skin, and are composed mainly of keratin, a type of protein. Nails grow at the rate of about 0.05 to 1.2mm per week. The nail bed is the skin on top of which the nail grows. Healthy nail beds are pink to dark pink, which shows a rich blood supply.

Fair-skinned people have pinkish nails, while other people have brown or black ones. But one thing is for sure: Nails often tell a story. The nails can reveal a lot about the body's internal health. Healthy nails are often a sign of good health, while bad nails are often a tip-off to more serious problems. A high-protein diet can help your nails grow stronger and healthier.


http://www.livestrong.com/article/13863-nails/

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great Post. I would like to share about my experience about my bad habit of nail biting. I was Possessing it for many years. I tried in many ways to avoid that. But could not change that habit. Then I heard about Thoughts Become Reality and their hypnotherapy treatment. I undergone that and now i have excellent nails with me.

Mycosis Treatment said...

I agree healthy nails are often a sign of good health. A proper diet with green leafy vegetables, nuts, dried fruits and fruits would also help nail growth. One should take care of his diet if he wants healthy nails.